Directed by Alex Turner. Written by Simon Barrett. Starring Henry Thomas, Nicki Aycox, Patrick Fugit, Isaiah Washington, Michael Shannon, Mark Boone Junior and Muse Watson.
Plot: Confederate deserters rob a bank and then hoe up in an unfortunately haunted plantation.
So, this group of random people including Confederate deserters, an escaped slave and an army nurse rob a bank and kill a bunch of people in the process, including a kid. This is purely by accident, but they kill the kid nonetheless. So, they’re on the run and they stop at an abandoned plantation to rest.
As you can imagine, these are not great people, so there’s obvious strife within the group. Particularly because Clyde (Shannon) and Joseph (Junior) don’t like how William (Thomas) is running things. For instance, they don’t like that they have to share the money with a runaway slave (Washington). So, they fight, they divide, then they start to disappear.
The cast is great, but they’re not likable people. It was a terrible motive for everyone. There was no Freddy Claws. And what were the rules exactly? We didn’t see any. I really wanted to like it, too, cause I like so many of the actors, but we cannot recommend.
I suppose I could list my favorite movies here, but instead I'll give you a strange glimpse into what makes me TaraRomero.
1. My favorite place in the world is Atlantic City. The food, the smells, the beach - I love it all.
2. I am particularly good at crafting. Especially scrapbooking and cross-stitch.
3. I am mixed. My dad is black and my mom is white. I'm very proud of both sides of myself.
4. My favorite food is either the cheesesteak or the hoagie. Not the sub, not the grinder, the hoagie. Totally different experience.
5. I have a number of pen pals I write snail mail to. We exchange stickers and little gifts sometimes, too. I have an extensive sticker collection.
6. I just reconnected with my father after 15+ years. It's going great so far. I've missed him.
7. My brother is my best friend, hence the reason we do this together.
8. I don't have a favorite book. I like too many to have a favorite. But Paul Zindel is my favorite author. Stephen King and Jane Austen are close seconds. I know, eclectic.
9. I'm not very religious at all. I consider myself agnostic.
10. I would say that my most prized possessions are my dogs, but I don't consider them possessions. I consider them people. They are my people.
View all posts by TaraRomero