Directed by Takashi Miike. Written by Minako Daira. Starring Ko Shibasaki, Shinichi Tsutsumi, Kazue Fukiishii, Renji Ishibashi and Yutaka Matsuchige.
Plot: teens start receiving voicemails from their future selves foretelling their own deaths.
Yumi’s (Shibasaki) friend Yoho gets a message from a future self in which she’s screaming. Two days later, while on the phone with Yumi, Yoho screams, something unseen happens and she is killed. Yumi finds that there’s a rumor about a woman who died full of hate and is now killing teenagers through their phones. The cops chalk it up to suicide though as Yoho “jumped” off a bridge and onto and under a passing train.
After that, several more of Yumi’s friends die in strange and horrible scenerios. The kills and effects are actually quite good, but the twist sucks. And I knew it was coming. Shibasaki is a good actress, but her character whines a lot and doesn’t listen AT ALL. Really, by the end, we were just like, ugh, and why.
I suppose I could list my favorite movies here, but instead I'll give you a strange glimpse into what makes me TaraRomero.
1. My favorite place in the world is Atlantic City. The food, the smells, the beach - I love it all.
2. I am particularly good at crafting. Especially scrapbooking and cross-stitch.
3. I am mixed. My dad is black and my mom is white. I'm very proud of both sides of myself.
4. My favorite food is either the cheesesteak or the hoagie. Not the sub, not the grinder, the hoagie. Totally different experience.
5. I have a number of pen pals I write snail mail to. We exchange stickers and little gifts sometimes, too. I have an extensive sticker collection.
6. I just reconnected with my father after 15+ years. It's going great so far. I've missed him.
7. My brother is my best friend, hence the reason we do this together.
8. I don't have a favorite book. I like too many to have a favorite. But Paul Zindel is my favorite author. Stephen King and Jane Austen are close seconds. I know, eclectic.
9. I'm not very religious at all. I consider myself agnostic.
10. I would say that my most prized possessions are my dogs, but I don't consider them possessions. I consider them people. They are my people.
View all posts by TaraRomero